Reclaimed Wood Product Care Instructions
You've happily purchased one of our handmade timber based products from , and now your question is: "How do i keep my new piece of furniture looking its best?"
We are here to help. As we make only Solid Timber Furniture with the right care your purchase can last for years and will certainly not become unusable, only aged
With all furniture
- Always use coasters and place mats when placing hot drinks and food onto your furniture. When you spill never use chemicals such as bleach, or any abrasive materials to clean the furniture. Never use all-purpose cleaning sprays unless your furniture has a plastic coating, such as the kind used on kitchen tables and children's furniture. Simply wipe away spillages with a damp cloth as soon as possible.
- It is best to avoid placing your furniture near heat sources such as radiators. Temperature needs to be controlled as the furniture will expand and contract in extreme temperatures.
- Added moisture may cause the timbers in your furniture to move slightly, so adequate ventilation should be provided to minimise this.
- Try not to leave your furniture in constant direct sunlight, this could dry out the wood and lead to fading.
- Natural light will also, over a period of time, slightly alter the colour of your furniture, this is just part of the ageing process.
- Some items of furniture are very heavy and awkward to lift. We recommend that you have 2 people to lift these items such as dining tables and beds. Do not drag the units as this will lead to damages.
Waxed furniture is not sealed like lacquered Furniture; therefore it will absorb the elements from its surroundings. If anything is spilt on the furniture make sure you act fast or it could be absorbed into the wood, leaving stains. This is exactly the same with hot pans and cups, rings will be left if the heated item is placed directly on to the waxed Furniture, we recommend using place mats and coasters where possible.
Dusting your furniture is best carried out with a damp soft cloth to stop the dust billowing and re-settling. If the item of furniture is dirty and you cannot remove the mark or stain simply with dusting, you can use a damp cloth. Make sure you try to remove any excess water, and again follow the grain of the wood. Make sure to dry off the Furniture after you have finished.
We use a hard wax oil to seal the tops of our tables, this creates a water resistant barrier and adds to the durability of the timber.
- Fiddes Hard Wax Oil
- Osmo Polyx Oil
Here at KONTRAST we want you to enjoy your furniture from us for as long as possible so if you wanted to get your item professionally refinished or refurbished by us the manufacturer, please get in touch and we can arrange this for you.